Monday, December 14, 2009

Sunday, Dec. 13

We did not attend a church service this morning which made us sad....we just think of the many underground church services that took place this morning and wish we could have been a part of that. Today, instead of church, we visited a Buddhist temple and museum. So many aspects of that temple with the many courtyards and altar rooms were so beautifully designed. But the coldness of the place is overwhelming. I could just feel the hoplessness as I looked around thinking of the Chang Dynasty and its many heirs which ruled in China during the time the temple was built. I see little change in the people today. They are without hope and have a government that blocks access to that hope. My heart breaks daily here but I pray throughout my day as we interact with so many people, for God's Spirit to break through and take these people on a journey in their own hearts- to seek the Savior and break away from the culture's religions.

After the temple, we visited a tea house which was a very special event. Rosalie has had tea since she was a baby and loves it all. We tasted jasmine tea, rose tea, ginseng tea, and many more. The Chinese are very proud of their tea history and drink ONLY fresh tea. They taught us how to tell if tea is fresh or not by the shaking and smelling technique. They never keep the boiling water and the tea leaves together longer than about 20 seconds. They pour the hot tea into the pot of tea leaves and lift the leaves out with a little strainer in the pot. They insist that if you keep the water and the tea together any longer, the tea gets bitter. That's why Chinese tea is so very weak looking, but the flavor is full when the tea is fresh. We had a wonderful time at the tea house. (They put down the way Americans make tea, however. I have to say I am quite proud myself of my tea heritage and love the way we make tea)

My sweet Uncle Danny , who ironically taught me at a very young age never to boil my tea bags when making tea, died last week. I am so very sad to miss the funeral. My mom has lost two brothers in the past 6 months. The girls and Sam will represent the Kennebeck family at his funeral in Estill on Monday. I praise God that we got to spend Thanksgiving with him-- he was excited about meeting Rosalie. They will meet in heaven one day.

Peter, Rosalie, and myself are getting to know one another a little better each day. The language is working itself out. Love speaks all languages or rather knows no language. This morning at breakfast, Rosalie was saying, "good morning" to everyone. She has taught me how to say "fish" in Mandarin. I absolutely love to hear her say fish. I will never let her forget that word. Yesterday was a difficult day of testing on her part. The consistentcy is KEY these days. She is a joy and delight despite any challenge she may bring our way. All in all, things are going very well and we believe she knows fully that we are her parents.

Thank you for your prayers and love! We will go back to the medical clinic tomorrow for tb readings. Our consolute interview and paperwork is on Tuesday.

We send our love to you all!

No comments: